Tips to get exercising
Have you lost your exercise mojo? Perhaps you never found it in the first place!
If you have had a break from exercising or are contemplating starting an exercise programme for the first time, it can all seem really daunting – What type of exercise should I do? How often should I exercise? What is the best type of exercise for my desired goal? These are just some of the questions you will undoubtedly ask yourself.
One thing I can say is this – once you have started exercising there will be no stopping you.
Exercise not only changes your body, but it changes your mind, boosts your confidence, boosts your mood and changes your whole outlook on life, such is its power.
Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Find something that you enjoy. If you have fun exercising you are so much more likely to keep it up, whether it is at the gym, using a Personal Trainer or working out in small groups like we do here at Isle Lose It Fitness. Small group training is particularly helpful when it comes to encouragement and support. There is nothing like working out with a group of like-minded people who are all there for the same reason as you! Working out in the great outdoors has the added advantage of boosting the immune system too!
- Have realistic expectations of yourself and set yourself a short-term goal. If your goal is weight loss, take some measurements and some selfies. This is an excellent way to track your progress.
- Make an exercise appointment with yourself and write it in your diary, just like you would a Doctor or Dentist appointment.
- Be consistent - this is key when we are trying to form healthy habits. Most of our members here at Isle Lose It prefer to work out early morning (we have a camp at 0615-0700 Mon Wed and Fri) because it means it is done and dusted and prepares them for the day ahead
- DO IT FOR YOURSELF! Don’t wait for anyone else to get started. If you have made the decision to start exercising, take the bull by the horns and go for it!
In a nutshell, find an activity that you enjoy. Do it with people you like and do it consistently!